What Are Some Common Winter HVAC Hazards?
While the air outside may be chilly, your home’s air should be warm and comfortable. Unfortunately, winter weather can take a toll on your HVAC system, causing it to work harder and less efficiently. Luckily, some easy steps you take can help prevent winter hazards from damaging your unit.
Experts from E.R.S. Heating & Cooling in Ogden, UT, have put together a list of the most common winter HVAC hazards and how to avoid them.
- Ice Buildup: Ice can form on the coils and other components of your unit, causing it to overwork and potentially break down. You can prevent this by keeping the area around your unit clear of snow and ice. You should also regularly check the coils and clean them if necessary.
- Freezing Temperatures: If the temperature outside gets too cold, it can cause the refrigerant in your unit to freeze. It can also damage the compressor and other vital components. To prevent this from happening, make sure that your unit is properly insulated and that any exposed pipes are protected from the cold.
- Power Outages: Winter storms can often lead to power outages. If your unit loses power, it can cause the coils to overheat and potentially break. Please ensure that your unit is connected to a backup power source like a generator.
- Dirty Air Filters: Dirty air filters can restrict airflow and cause your unit to work harder than necessary. Regularly clean or replace your air filters to help prevent this from happening. You can also call us for air cleaners in the Layton area.
- Carbon Monoxide: If your unit is not properly vented, it can release carbon monoxide into your home. It is a very dangerous situation that can be avoided by having your unit serviced regularly and making sure that all vents are clear and unobstructed.
- Thermostat Issues: If your thermostat is not working properly, it can cause your unit to overwork and potentially break down. To avoid this, make sure that your thermostat is set to the correct temperature and that it is functioning properly.
By taking some simple precautions, you can help prevent winter weather from damaging your HVAC system. If you have concerns about your unit, please contact E.R.S. Heating & Cooling for expert assistance. We’re here to help you keep your home comfortable all winter long!
E.R.S. Heating & Cooling has been in business for over 20 years. We’re experts in air conditioning, heating, and air quality. For air quality, we also offer services like air filter replacement and air scrubbers in Ogden, UT. For the health of your HVAC systems, we recommend servicing your air conditioner in the fall and your heater in the spring. It will help you avoid hazards like freezing temperatures and power outages.
We offer a wide range of heating & cooling services like:
- Air Conditioning Repair & Replacement
- Heating Repair & Replacement
- Indoor Air Quality Products & Services
- Furnace Repair & Replacement
- Heat Pump Installation & Repair
- Geothermal Heating & Cooling
- Ductwork Cleaning, Sealing, & Repair
- And more!
Call us today for all your air conditioning and heating needs in Ogden, Layton, Clearfield, UT, and Surrounding Areas!